This is the time of the year that Rotary takes a moment to reflect on accomplishments and challenges that may or may not have occurred during the 2021-2022 service year. Here is a recap of what happened:
1. Organized the Alas de Amor dental clinic- serving 161 dentals seen for cleanings, fillings and extractions.
2. Received an equipment donation for the fire department from Mesa, AZ.
3. Supported and donated to the school supply drive of Palabras de Esperanza to complete 115 school packages.
4. Participated in International Beach Clean-up Day.
5. Served the Polio plus meal (fundraiser).
6. Assisted CEDO and Ecology Office with clean up site at Mi Playa.
7. Volunteered once, and sometimes twice a month, to assist with vaccinations at the border.
8. Received the 2nd delivery of containers full of medical equipment and supplies that was part of a Global Grant Project bringing over $700,000 to our community.
9. Purchased Christmas gifts and provided lunch for the residents of Casa Hogar, the home for the elderly.
10. Organized the Fish Bowl along with Super Square Sales and the sale of a car donated by Courtesy Chevrolet/Phoenix.
11. Participated in a Friendship Exchange/Utah District 5420. Together the two clubs painted and cleaned the Dialysis Center and water plant as well as walked neighborhoods to administer polio vaccines.
12. Donated trees to Nueva Creacion Elementary School.
13. Through a district grant we delivered a repeater radio to the Red Cross to improve essential communication.
14. Worked with youth from Heber Valley, UT (during Spring Break) to paint, clean up, and repair facilities at a city community center.
15. Donated a rescue sled to Tourism Auxiliary Unit to assist with aquatic rescues/prevent drownings.
16. Donated paint and supplies to Jaime Nuno/Hero de Nacozari elementary school (following extreme vandalism).
17. Coordinated donations of school desks and computers to No. 21 Jr. High.
18. Provided rooms, meals and support for families taking children to Tecate for cleft palette surgeries.
19. Working with the City and Health Department to provide medicated baths and anti-tick medicine to eradicate rickettsia.
20. Coordinated a vision clinic for Elementary school kids, tested eyes and provided 150 pairs of glasses.
Wow- What a year!!! If any of these items sparks an interest, come join us!! There is no better feeling in the world than putting “Service Above Self” a great way to live!!
To learn more about Rotary You can visit our website at clubrotariopuertopenasco.org or call me Dr. Sally E. Downey at (480) 612-5783 or attend a meeting every Wednesday morning at 9am at the Friendly Dolphin Restaurant.