An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure…you’ve heard it a million times, but how does it relate to cold and flu prevention? In short, giving the body what it needs and keeping a constant supply of nutrients will help ensure that the body can resist any pathogen it encounters.
Of course, eating healthy, exercising, taking vitamins and supplements, sleeping well and getting adjusted keeps your immune system intact to fight off bacteria and viruses. But in case you do indeed still get sick, these are my 10 favorite natural remedies to help your body heal faster.
1. GARLIC is a powerhouse natural antibiotic, antifungal, and antibacterial. Mince 1-2 cloves and add to warm water and drink. You can add lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey as well.
2. GINGER helps with nausea, vomiting, high fever, headaches, sinus infections and congestion. Steep ginger root in hot water to make a tea (you can add honey and lemon), or you can buy ginger shots at Zumwich (1 block north of Burger King on Benito Juarez) and chase them down with a glass of orange juice.
3. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR is antimicrobial and kills off harmful bacteria. Gargle a tablespoon mixed with water, and then drink it, at the first sign of illness and repeat hourly until symptoms disappear.
4. CINNAMON is an effective antiviral and antibiotic. Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of honey in warm water – it helps to relieve cough, congestion and feverish symptoms.
5. COCONUT OIL is high in lauric acid and is thought to dissolve the lipid coating around some viruses and make them more susceptible to attack by your immune system. Eat 5-6 tablespoons of coconut oil with your food or melted into hot water and drink as a tea.
6. ZINC reduces the severity of a cold or a flu virus and can shorten the duration. It is most commonly found in tablet form.
7. ONIONS & GARLIC have been shown to pull toxins out of the body. Rub olive oil on your feet, lather them in minced onion and garlic, cover in saran wrap, and put a sock on overnight.
8. CHLOROPHYLL is a great blood purifier and helps to bring the fever down, alkalizes the body, and is very high in nutrients. It can be found in powder, liquid, or capsule form.
9. ESSENTIAL OILS often have all the “anti” properties needed to fight off a cold. Some of my favorite oils when I’m sick are peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, lemon, oregano, rosemary, and sage. They can be diffused, inhaled, or applied topically once diluted with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
10. JUICING fresh fruits and vegetables supplies your body with the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that it needs to recover quickly. A simple immune system booster juice includes apple, celery, kale, lemon and ginger…and it tastes more delicious than you think!
Nature’s pharmacy is often the best pharmacy – it doesn’t mask the symptoms and it actually assists your body’s natural healing ability to fight off whatever pathogen is causing you havoc.