INFORMATION YOU NEED TO REMEMBER If you dispute any incident or infraction, need help, or have questions, please go directly to the police station, located north of town. IF YOU ARE PULLED OVER ALWAYS GET • The name of the officer • The number on the back of the vehicle • Record the location you were pulled over and the exact time. YOU MUST FILE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT! If you feel you have been wronged by an officer(s), you MUST make an official complaint so that the police department can take action. If they have no record of the incident, then they have no proof. Telling your friends and complaining to others, will not get the problem solved, it only creates more problems and allows the officer to go on doing “business as usual”. POLICE EMERGENCIES DIAL…066 Nationwide: from ANY PHONE. TelCel users can also dial *112 to go directly to the Peñasco Police Station . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Report any attempt of bribes by calling Internal Affairs 388-6552 DO NOT PAY OR OFFER TO PAY ANY OFFICER DIRECTLY WHEN PULLED OVER. All fines are to be paid at the main police station

For re-entry into the U.S., when travelling by vehicle from Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. You may also present a Card, Enhanced Driver’s License, NEXXUS or Sentri Card as well Children under the age of 16 need to present their birth certificate. This is true for any port of entry.

Puerto Peñasco, also known as Rocky Point, is located in the State of Sonora, on the Sea of Cortez. We are approx. 66 miles from the U.S. border at Lukeville, AZ and Sonoyta, MX. We are located within the “Free Zone”, so no vehicle permit is needed to visit. You can find a variety of activities for the entire family in Peñasco, as well as a variety of lodging from luxury resorts to hotels to tent camping on the beach. Rocky Point is known for its gorgeous sunsets, warm weather and sandy beaches. We boast a variety of cuisine, shopping, spas, golf and entertainment. Currently there are approx. 48,000 fulltime residents according to the Census.

Take either I-10 (west side) or the Maricopa Hwy. (east side). Take the Gila Bend/Mexico exit off of I-10 and head toward Gila Bend. Once you pass through Gila Bend you will exit onto Hwy. 85 (south) toward Ajo/Mexico. Hwy. 85 will take you all the way to the U.S./Mexico border at Lukeville, AZ/Sonoyta, MX. The Maricopa Hwy. will lead you right into Gila Bend, exit left once you come to the stop sign and follow the above directions. COMING FROM TUCSON You will take the old Ajo Hwy. (Hwy. 86), which will lead you through Sells and end at Why, AZ. At the stop sign take a left onto Hwy. 85 (at Why) and head to the border (see above). Gas stations, restrooms, ATM’s & convenience stores are located in Gila Bend, Ajo, Why and Lukeville, AZ before reaching the border. ENTERING MEXICO The highway (Hwy. 8) from the Lukeville border to Rocky Point is a good 2-lane road with plenty of emergency parking and places to pass. It is an open range (watch out for wildlife) and is patrolled by the highway police. Please see Crossing the Border in this section for more info. YOU MUST HAVE MEXICAN VEHICLE INSURANCE…IT’S THE LAW A minimum of liability is required.

If you are involved in a (non-death) accident in Mexico, you are considered at fault until proven otherwise. All parties are taken to the police station where you and your vehicle may be detained until restitution is made. If a minor is involved in an accident, the parents are responsible for the child. Parents must pay fines and/ or restitution. Minors are usually detained but not jailed in non-death accidents or traffic violations. You need to file a police report and phone your Mexican insurance adjustor immediately in the event of an accident. You (most likely) will be held in jail if you are in an accident in which a death occurs.

AeroCalafia Service to/from Rocky Point to Hermosillo Local: 388-7812 • Flights every Friday 3:10pm depart Hermosillo to Peñasco 4:45pm depart Peñasco to Hermosillo Mexico Toll Free: 800-560-3949 U.S. Toll Free: 818-206-3255 Flight arrivals and departures are from the Puerto Peñasco Airport (north) Morgan Jet Charter flights from Phoenix 1-888-869-0866 AIRPORTS Aeropuerto Internacional del Mar de Cortez International Airport Info.: 383-6097 Carretera Peñasco-Caborca KM 24 Close to being finished out by the Mayan The airport will be able to accommodate large jets and commercial airliners. The Rocky Point Airport International Airport, north of town Phone: (011-52-638) 383-6097 Airport Admin.: Alonso Dominguez Ruiz Comandante: Alejandro Rangel Ocegueda Located on Hwy. 8 just north of town Car Parking $5/day Rental cars available This airport will remain open once the new airport is opened. Personal Aircraft To fly your own plane, you must have: pilots license & medical certificate, registration, air worthiness certificate, and Mexican airplane Insurance. General Airport Information Airport ID: MMPE August 5, 1994 declared port of entry. Coordinates: 31 21 08 LN, 113 32 08 LW Location: 3 miles north of town Runways: 11-29 5000 feet paved 03-21 3000 feet dirt Radio Frequency: 122.80 VOR-DME Frequency: 112.10 Landing Fee: $50 pesos single engine, $100 pesos twin engine, Federal Fee: $567 pesos Tie down and Overnight Available Fuel Available Closest U.S. Airports Phoenix, Tucson & Nogales, AZ

From the U.S. see Shuttle Services ABC – Auto Transportes de la Baja California • 383-1999, Constitucion, just N of the signal at Blvd. Benito Juarez Albatros – 388-0888, east side of Benito Juarez, north of the stadium Norte de Sonora – 383-3640, east side of Blvd. Benito Juarez, S of No. Releccion (Calle 26) and north of Pemex TAP – Transportes y Autobuses del Pacifico • 383-6761, west side of Blvd. Benito, N of the signal at Constitucion

Some major rental companies do permit their vehicles to be driven into Mexico. You will have better luck if you call their Arizona offices directly instead of going through their national office. You may be required to carry their Mexican insurance. Mexico law requires that you must carry a minimum of liability insurance. Arizona Enterprise, Advantage, Dollar Saban’s • (602) 273-7351 2934 E McDowell Rd., Phoenix Puerto Peñasco The Point Rent-A-Car: 388-5823

Carretera Costera Sections still under construction Total: 500 km (approx. 300 miles) spanning from San Luis Rio Colorado, B.C. to Guaymas, Sonora The Coastal Hwy. has been completed from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Puerto Peñasco, and is still under construction from El Desemboque to San Carlos, with many stretches completed. Hwy. 003 will dramatically cut the driving time from Southern California, Yuma, AZ and Guaymas.

MEXICAN CONSULATES Tucson: 553 S. Stone Ave., 85701 (520) 882-5595 • Mon.-Fri. 8 AM – 2 PM Phoenix: 1990 W. Camelback Rd., 85015 (602) 433-2294 Nogales: 480 Grand Ave., 89562 • (520) 287-3175 Douglas: 541 10th St., 85607 • (520) 364-3107 U.S. CONSULATES Nogales, Mexico from Mexico (01-631) 311-8150 Fax: (01-631) 313-4652 from the U.S. (011-52-631) 311-8150 Fax: (011-52-631) 313-4652 Email: What the Consulate CAN DO if you are arrested in Mexico • Visit you in jail after your arrest • Provide you a list of local attorneys • Inform you of judicial procedures • Notify family and friends and relay requests for aid or monetary support • Protest abuse or mistreatment to authorities What the Consulate CANNOT DO if you are arrested in Mexico • Demand your immediate release • Get you out of jail or out of the country • Pay legal fees w/U.S. Government money • Pay fines with U.S. Government money

CLOSED MIDNIGHT – 6:00 AM Arizona/Mexico Border at Lukeville/Sonoyta As soon as you drive past the chainlink fence, you are entering Mexico. Wait at the crosswalk for the vehicle ahead of you to pass all the way through the lane before proceeding ahead. VEHICLE INSPECTION There are two means of inspection: 1) Fiscal Traffic Light 2) Integral Inspection As you cross the Mexican Border there will be a narrow lane with a (traffic) light on your left at the end of the lane. As you proceed ahead, the light will flash either RED (alto – stop) or GREEN (pase – go). This is the Fiscal Traffic Light and means that you are proceeding into Mexico without anything to declare over your allowed limit by law. RED LIGHT…STOP (ALTO) If the light flashes red as you pass it, you must pull your vehicle over to the left, under the canopy, or wherever as directed by the officer if it is busy. The officer will ask you some questions, such as where you are going, how long you are staying, and what you are bringing into Mexico. The officer will most likely look through your vehicle and may look through your belongings. You do not leave your vehicle unattended during inspection and you accompany the officer during his search. If you incur any problems be sure to get the name, badge number of the officer and the time. GREEN LIGHT…GO (PASE) If you get the green light you can pass through without any inspection. Please note that you still may be pulled over and inspected even though you got the green light. INTEGRAL INSPECTION (Voluntary) This is the voluntary request for the exa mination of your articles, if you have items to declare which exceed your allo wed limits. Before you pass through the light you will pull off to your left and park in the assigned spaces against the chainlink fence. You will need to go to the small building, which sits in the middle of the two lanes, and tell the officer what items you have to declare and the value of each item. When you are finished filling out the form, the import tax (impuestos) will be assessed and you will be handed two forms to take to the bank and pay. (The bank is at the side of the brick building, past the fountain.) An agent may want to come and inspect your load. The taxes you pay are in pesos (they will accept dollars) and are to be paid directly to the bank and you will be issued a receipt. You will need that receipt to cross the border. (If you are pulled over by Aduana after leaving the border, you will need the receipt as proof of payment.) After you have paid the bank you will need to cross the border and go through the Fiscal Traffic Light. If you get the red light you will need to pull over and show your receipt to the officer. If you come through the fiscal traffic light, and merchandise is found which was not declared, you could have to pay a fine of 4x the commercial value of the articles plus your vehicle and belongings may be seized. If you choose the Integral Inspection the fine will be 1½x the value. In both cases you forfeit the right to the tax exemption. Your vehicle and personal belongings can be confiscated if you do not stop and declare merchandise over your limit allowed by Mexican Law.

You are allowed $75 USD tax free in new merchandise per person. Merchandise must be in same vehicle as person(s) declaring. The following is a list of items wich you may bring into Mexico tax free. • Items for personal use such as clothing, shoes and toiletries according to the length of your stay. • 1 photographic or motion video camera, including a power source and rolls of film or video cassettes. (No professional equipment.) • Books and magazines. • 1 used sports article or piece of equipment for individual use. • 2 cartons of cigarettes or 50 cigars. • 3 liters (approx. 3 quarts) of wine, alcohol, beer, etc. if the passenger is an adult. You may import an additional 2 liters, and pay the corresponding tax. • Medicine for personal use (with your prescription). • Suitcases to transport your items. If you are legally a resident of another country, in addition to the items listed, you may also bring the following items: • Binoculars • Camping equipment • Portable television, radio and 20 tapes • Typewriter or laptop computer • 5 used toys if the passenger is a child • Fishing tackle • Pair of skis • 2 tennis rackets • A non-motorized boat up to 5½ meters in length or a surfboard with or withouta sail If you are traveling by a camper, trailer, motorhome you may also bring in: • VCR • Bicycle with or without a motor • Household linens • Kitchen utensils • Livingroom & bedroom furniture You may import additional merchandise valued up to $1,000 per vehicle by paying the corresponding tax without the intervention of a customs broker. Over $1,000 USD requires a broker, which are located just across the border.

Firearms, illegal drugs and ammunition are NOT allowed into Mexico. Hunters may bring their firearm with the proper paperwork/clearance. Possession carries a pentalty of 5 to 30 years.

You are allowed to bring in $75.00 USD per person worth of new merchandise – this does not include your personal items such as clothing, toiletries, etc. If you have new merchandise in excess of $75 per person you will need to declare your items and pay the impuestos (taxes) before crossing into Mexico. You may import up to $1,000 USD in new merchandise per vehicle without the assistance of a Customs Broker. To declare items you are bringing into Mexico, turn left as you cross the border, just beyond the chainlink fence. Park in the designated spot and go into the Aduana Building in the middle of the two lanes. See Crossing the Border for more information on declaring merchandise. If your merchandise totals more than $1,000 USD per vehicle, you will need the assistance of a customs broker. Customs brokers are located on the Mexican side of the border. Park on the U.S. side and walk across to one of their offices. Customs Brokers in Sonoyta, Mex. Agencia Ibarrola (011-52-651) 512-1878 Aserco Imp. (011-52-651) 512-0009 MultiServicios Sinaloa (011-52-651) 512-1593 or 1599

MEDICAL INSURANCE Family or personal trip/vacation medical insurance can be purchased by some providers in the U.S. Check your existing policy to see what coverage is offered while visiting Mexico. Most clinics in Rocky Point do not accept U.S. insurance. VEHICLE INSURANCE Mexican Law states that you MUST HAVE MEXICAN INSURANCE while driving in Mexico. A minimum of liability is required, though full coverage is recommended if you have a vehicle you cannot afford to replace out of pocket. You can insure your driver’s license if driving a buggy, quad, rail, etc., but the vehicle cannot be insured for theft. If your vehicle is stolen, you must immediately file a local, federal (state) and U.S. police report. The insurance companies usually pay low blue book and extras such as rims, tires, stereo, etc. are not covered. Most U.S. policies ARE NOT recognized in Mexico. You may purchase insurance over the internet, phone, mail or stop at a number of places on your way to Rocky Point. Look in this issue for Mexican Insurance.

Daily shuttle service is available from the Phoenix and Tucson areas to Rocky Point and cities in-between. Please contact the companies directly for their schedules and rates. If you need door to door service, clarify that they offer that service and if you need to be picked up at the airport be sure that the shuttle company has the proper permits to pick up passengers at the airport. Head Out to Rocky Point (602) 971-0166, Toll Free 866-443-2368 Mercedes Shuttle • (602) 956-5696 Nena’s Transportation • 388-7089 (602) 442-6802 Located on Benito Juarez, north of the baseball stadium by Coffee Point Transportes Superior • 383-3640 Calle Lázaro Cárdenas, Esq. Benito Juarez Bus Station TNS/Estrella Blanca Sonoyta: Across the border on the west side of the street • 01-651-512-3374 At the Bus Station • 01-651-512-0784 Phoenix: 29th & VanBuren 602-455-9522 Rocky Point Rides • 520-207-0532 520-780-7408

Agricultural items are prohibited if they can carry plant pests or animal diseases Cuban Cigars. Medicine requires a prescription, carry a copy of your U.S. prescription with you. Fruits and Vegetables: sugarcane, potatoes, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams. (Exceptions: Cooked potatoes and avocados without seeds, except in California.) Plants, Seeds and Soil: plants and seeds require special permits. Soil and some plants are prohibited. Check in advance with agricultural inspectors. (Exception: some dried plant parts for medicinal purposes are permitted.) Meat and Game: pork, raw and cooked,) including sausages, cold cuts, skins, and pork tacos is prohibited. (Exceptions: shelf-stable, canned pork and hardcooked pork skins (cracklings) are permitted.) Poul tr y: raw meat from both domesticated and game fowl is prohibited. (Exception: thoroughly cooked poultry is permitted.) Eggs: unless boiled or cooked. Game: check with agricultural inspectors in advance. Live Birds: wild and domesticated birds, including poultry are prohibited. To import personally owned pet birds, contact agricultural inspectors in advance. Straw: generally prohibited. This includes wheat straw, seeds, animal feed, and all articles made from this material. In addition to the items listed above, many agricultural items are permitted if they pass inspection to be sure they are free of pests, soil and sand.

100 cigars, 200 cigarettes 1 liter (39.8 fl. oz.) of alcohol, per person, 21 yrs. or older. You are NOT permitted, at the Lukeville Port of Entry, to pay duty and import additional alcohol. This is a Pima County law, not an Arizona or U.S. state law, so check with the individual border crossing. Fruits and Vegetables: bananas, blackberries, cactus fruits, dates, dewberries, grapes, lychees, melons, papayas, pineapples, and strawberries (Most citrus such as oranges and grapefruit are NOT permitted.) Vegetables are permitted, except for those on the prohibited list. Okra, however, is subject to certain restrictions. Nuts: acorns, almonds, cocoa beans, chestnuts, coconuts (without husks or milk), peanuts, pecans, pinons (pinenuts), tamarind beans, walnuts and waternuts. Seafood: 50lbs. of fish or shrimp per vehicle. Avoid customs penalties by declaring all articles acquired in Mexico, and in your possession at the time of your re-entry into the United States. If you are in doubt whether an article or item of food should be declared, always declare it and the Customs Officer on duty will let you know if the item is permitted. If you understate the value of an article you declare, you may have to pay a penalty in addition to the payment of duty. If you fail to declare an article, acquired in Mexico, not only is the item subject to seizure, but you will be liable for a personal penalty. You are entitled to an $800 exemption within a 30-day period. Articles totaling $800 or less may be entered into the U.S. without paying duty, subject to limitations on liquor, cigarettes and cigars.

Border Closed Midnight-6am Have your Passport, Passport Card, Enhanced Drivers License (EDL), Sentri or Nexxus ready for the Officer. Children 16 and younger will need to present their birth certificate. Bureau of Customs and Border Protection PO Box C, Lukeville, AZ 85341 (520) 387-5671, Fax: (520) 387-5309 Passports U.S. Citizens re-entering the United States (via vehicle) from Mexico will be required to show their Passport, Passpor t Card, Enhanced Driver’s License, NEXXUS or SENTRI Card. Everyone in the vehicle needs to provide one of the above forms of identificaton. Parents bringing their babies, who have not received their official birth certificate, may bring the temporary one issued by the hospital. Children 16 and under will be required to show a copy of their birth certificate. Wait Times Traffic is greatly increased during holiday and busy weekends. Please plan your trip accordingly. A good idea is to arrive a day early, and stay a day later. You can check border wait times on the internet at

Only domestic animals (dogs & cats) are permitted into Mexico. You are allowed two (2) animals per vehicle. You need to carry a copy of your pet’s current rabies vaccination certificate as you may be asked for it as you cross the border. Mexico has many stray animals roaming the streets so please keep an eye on your pet. Many pets are lost in Rocky Point each year due to unfamiliar surroundings and firework noise. If your animal is lost while visiting Rocky Point, we have found the best thing to do is scour the area where he/she was last seen. You can also pass out flyers to taxi drivers and water truck delivery men and post them all over town. Putting an announcement on the local AM and FM radio stations are also a good idea. Be sure you have a collar and tag on your animal as well as a current photo. Contrary to popular belief, your pet is not welcome at most establishments, especially where food is served. Please check with the staff before bringing your pet inside as the business can be fined for health violations.

Agua Prieta, Mexico…………………345 miles Ajo, Arizona……………………………….90 miles Caborca, Mexico……………………..154 miles Ciudad Obregon, Mexico………….491 miles Guaymas, Mexico……………………408 miles Hermosillo, Mexico………………….321 miles Kino Bay, Mexico……………………..393 miles Las Vegas, Nevada……………………514 miles Los Angeles, California……………..540 miles Lukeville, Arizona………………………66 miles Nogales, Mexico………………………287 miles Phoenix, Arizona……………………..217 miles San Carlos, Mexico…………………..407 miles San Diego, California………………..366 miles Santa Ana, Mexico……………………217 miles Sonoyta, Mexico……………………….62 miles Tucson, Arizona……………………….208 miles Yuma, Arizona…………………………260 miles Coastal Highway 003 This highway will run from Baja, California through Rocky Point to San Carlos. It is completed from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Rocky Point and almost complete from Desemboque to Puerto Lobos. Southern California visitors will be able to cut their driving time by using this beautiful, safe new highway! It is a nice, wide, 2-lane highway with rest stops, plenty of passing and wide shoulders for emergencies.

Puerto Peñasco is located in the Free Zone, where you do not need vehicle permit to visit. If you plan to travel beyond the Free Zone you will need your FMT (personal tourist visa) and your vehicle permit if you plan on driving. PERSONAL VISA (FMT) An FMT is a personal tourist visa, required by law if you plan to remain in Mexico longer than 72 hours, even within the Free Zone. You can get your FMT at the at the Immigration Office in Sonoyta, on your right, as you cross the border. They are open from 8am-12am. You will need to bring your birth certificate and/ or valid driver’s license. You can either park on the U.S. side and walk across, or you can go through the border and park. You will need to show your ID and fill out the necessary paperwork (it is in English and Spanish). Once you have filled out the paperwork you will take it over to Banca Serfin, pay approx. $195 pesos (per person), and return to the office to give them a copy. At this time you cannot obtain your FMT in Peñasco, but the Immigration Office on Benito Juarez can stamp your FM3, or FM2, for travel beyond the Free Zone. If you are flying into the airport, you can obtain your FMT when you arrive at the Peñasco airport. If you are going to get your vehicle permit, you can get your FMT at the same time, instead of making two stops – see below. AUTOMOBILE VISA If you plan to drive beyond the State of Sonora, you will need to obtain a permit for your vehicle. The cost for this permit is approx. $290 pesos. They no longer do this in Sonoyta or Peñasco. You must take Hwy. 2, out of Sonoyta, heading toward Caborca, approx. 15 miles down Hwy. 2 there is a checkpoint where you obtain your vehicle permit. This can also be done at the checkpoint outside of Guaymas or at the Guaymas Airport. You will need the original and 3 copies of: • Registration, Title and the valid driver’s license of the vehicle owner • Credit card in the vehicle owner’s name • FMT, FM3, FM2, Passport or birth certificate • Leasing contract (if the vehicle is rented or leased), which must be in the name of the person importing the vehicle. If the vehicle belongs to a company, the papers certifying the employee works for the company. If you do not have a credit card you can post a bond payable to the Federal Treasury issued by an authorized bonding company in Mexico. As an alternative to posting bond you may make a cash deposit at Banco del Ejercito in an amount equal to the value according to the “Table of Vehicle Values for Bonding Companies.” At Banco del Ejercito your credit card will be charged approx. $30 USD. A cash deposit will also be accepted if you do not have a credit card. Your deposit plus any interest will be returned to you when you leave Mexico. You may choose to obtain a bond through an authorized Mexican bonding company located at all border crossings. The bonding company also assess taxes and processing costs for this service. The vehicle permit is good for 6 months and for any type of vehicle weighing under 3 tons. When departing Mexico, and if you are not planning to drive the vehicle back into Mexico, the permit must be canceled with Customs. If your car is found in Mexico, beyond the Free Zone, and beyond the authorized time, or without the appropriate papers, it will be confiscated. Always carry the importation permit with you when driving your vehicle into Mexico. Take it with you when you exit the vehicle – do not leave this document in your car. Make a copy and leave a copy in the car – same with your insurance. The sale, abandonment, or use of the vehicle for financial gain, a criminal act, etc. will result in its confiscation. The vehicle may be driven by the spouse or adult children as long as they have the same immigration status. It is a good idea to get a notarized document, if you are driving a vehicle beyond the free zone that is not registered in your name, nor the owner is in the vehicle. It should simply state that the owner has given you permission to drive the vehicle, you may want to include the make, model, year, color and VIN number.

The Rocky Point Times Newspaper strives to keep the information up-to-date. Laws, rules and info. change constantly, so if you notice an error, or have additional info., please let us know so that we may change the info. Contact us with questions or corrections at or phone (480) 463-6255 or local 383-6325