Beachy November- Sometimes you just need a beach day!
It’s still summer weather in Peñasco! How lucky are we? I mean if you’re reading this hopefully you are chill-laxing in the beautiful little charming town of Puerto Peñasco, Mexico. Not stuck in some subzero mid-west, North-west or Canadian city watching the weather app for freezing rain, ice, or even snow. Put those gloves away!
No, here in Puerto Peñasco the best is yet to come. Even though summer is officially over, the sun is warm, and the tide is calm in the Sea of Cortez. Forget the waterproof boots, scarves or mittens. Flip-flops, swim trunks and bikinis are still the height of the Fall Fashion. Here at the beach, with average daytime temperatures of 75 degrees, we still have time to sport a tan.
And this November in Rocky Point, outstanding events are happening.
Here are 8 reasons not to miss November in Rocky Point:
1. Just when you thought it was over, it doesn’t have to be. One last summer-like weekend of sweet 2016 can still be yours. Condos, hotel rooms, and houses are available for rent, at great prices. Enjoy beachy weather before 2017.
2. You don’t have to fight the crowds. Yes, the crowds of summer vacation with the kids out-of-school are over. The summer of 2016 broke records, with tourists flocking to our little town and popular weekends, sold-out. November is a great month to enjoy the beach, the roads and the border without long lines and heavy traffic.
3. There is still plenty to do in November: stroll the beach, try dining out at one of our fabulous restaurants, sit outside on a deck with a view, enjoy live music, or explore the UNESCO World Heritage Center, Pinacate Biosphere. November weather is perfect outdoor weather.
4. Jump in the sea. The water temperature of the Sea of Cortez is a nice temperature. As high as 81 F or low as 72 F. Great temperature for swimming, kayaking, jet skiing, snorkeling, SUP or sailing. Comfortable sunbathing and swimming await you.
5. Holiday Shopping. You can find awesome holiday gifts. Stroll through the local merchants at Cholla Mall/Rodeo Drive and Old Port. Stop by the Mermaid Art Festival on November 5th and the 19th, and buy something handcrafted, made with love, by the beach.
6. Attend the Rocky Point Rally. Yes, the 16th year of the Rocky Point Rally happens November 10-13th. A fantastic fun event, and the $20 registration is a donation to some charity organizations. Registration packet includes an official wristband, free boarding of Pirate Boat, Official Rally Pin, Official Rocky Point Rally patch, items from sponsors (koozies, bandanas, etc.), Rocky Point Rally Calendar and map, plus the “Rocky Point Rally Passport” which highlights local sponsors around town! With Poker runs, Beach Parties, Concerts, Bike Tricks, Bike Parade, Bike show—who wouldn’t want to donate, ride or watch! If you haven’t experienced this fun weekend, check it out! You don’t have to register to watch the bike shows and parade on the Malecon, but for $20 charity donation, why not? Let’s make this year the biggest rally ever.
7. Give Thanks for family, friends and this hidden beach haven that’s not overpriced and overcrowded. Thanksgiving weekend falls on the last weekend of the month. If you have kids, this is their last chance for a 4-day beach trip before the year ends. Yes, it is time for seafood Thanksgiving or the traditionalist, turkey is still available. (Although, if you are bringing a turkey to Peñasco, keep it in its original packaging to go through the border. Hopefully, they will allow you to import it if it’s in the original container and labeling, but there is no guarantee). If you want to cook a turkey (in the beautiful condo you rented), Super Ley, Sam’s Club, and other local merchants might have a few turkeys for sale. Better yet, visit one of the many restaurants that feature a turkey dinner with all the dressings or save eating the bird for Christmas and eat Rocky Point’s delicious shrimp and seafood, offered everywhere.
8. During the Thanksgiving Weekend, don’t miss the fan favorite football game on Friday, November 25th with Arizona State University playing the rival University of Arizona. Stop by J.J’s Cantina for the game or a little shopping. November 24, 25th and 26th there will be a garage sale and live auction on Saturday at J.J.’S Cantina in Cholla Bay. Who doesn’t like garage sale picking at the oldest cantina in Rocky Point, along the bay, with football? Shopping, Sea, sports…The live auction on Saturday will begin at 1:00 and all types of treasures will be auctioned off from appliances, gift certificates, jewelry and local merchant’s gifts. A not to be missed event with all money goes directly back to the community. Santa Claus Club is a year-round charity organization donating food, clothes, and bicycles for the local community. www.santclausclub.org
November in Rocky Point is my favorite month of the year. It might have something to do with my magical wedding on the beach in Puerto Peñasco, ten years ago–or perhaps it is the gorgeous weather, laid back crowds and delicious blue crabs that are in season?
Make a November memory this year and enjoy the endless summer. It’s not too late to have the last beach day of 2016.
“Smell the Sea and feel the sky- Let your soul and spirit fly”- Van Morrison