Wow, what a year 2020 has been!
As you can imagine, the pandemic has
presented our teams on both sides of the border with tremendous new challenges
as we work to find ways to safely bring critically needed resources and support
to local students in crisis. Despite these challenges, we are more committed
than ever to our mission of providing young people in Rocky Point with a path
out of poverty through education.
I am incredibly proud of our AIMPeñasco team and their commitment to do ‘whatever it takes’ to provide students with the resources they need to stay in school during this pandemic. Until in-person classes resume, and homework clubs can reopen, our local team is working tirelessly to bring daily resources and support to hundreds of students throughout the community. In addition to laptops, WIFI and educational materials, they are also bringing daily meals to students who might otherwise go hungry.
Thanks to support from so many of you, despite the unprecedented challenges we have faced this year, together we have accomplished so much. Here are just a few of my favorite highlights from this last year:
- During the fall semester, more than 300 elementary school students were receiving daily academic support and resources at one of three homework clubs operated by our local AIM team. Since the pandemic forced a transition to remote learning, five new mobile homework clubs have been established to provide a record number of students with daily meals and critical academic resources not available in their homes.
- The AIM team opened its first ever technology lab to provide middle and high school students with consistent access to the internet, computers and printers -resources essential for academic success at these grade levels
And my favorite highlight from this past year…
- We have a record 42 high school graduates from our program now attending college and we have our first ever college graduate!
None of this would be possible without the support of so many generous donors and I am humbled and honored by the growing support of my mission to provide young people in Rocky Point with a path out of poverty through education.
MAKE A GIFT, CHANGE A LIFE. GET YOUR MONEY BACK!
If you are an Arizona Taxpayer, I am excited to share a unique opportunity we have for you to direct some of your state taxes to support at-risk students in Rocky Point and Arizona. You can take advantage of this opportunity any time before April 15ththrough these 3 simple steps:
1. Go to stepsoflove.org/tax-credit/ and donate up to $800 (married) or $400 (single).Write Steps of Love in the memo box and select ‘none’ for EC70 Referring Member.
2. Use form 321 when you file your taxes and list 20589 in the QCO code.
3. Receive this tax credit either in a reduction in state taxes or an increase in your refund for the exact amount you donated.
This is a win-win for at-risk students on both sides of the border! If you are not an AZ taxpayer, please share this opportunity with those you know who are!
On behalf of all of us at Steps of Love, our local team in Rocky Point and, especially, the amazing, resilient students we have the honor of serving, we thank you for your generosity. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
Members of the local team we support bringing daily meals, technology and other resources to students
No access to remote learning means ho hoe for a better future for so many local students