10 great places to eat with a vista in Rocky Point
There’s nothing better than sitting down and enjoying a tasty juicy succulent meal. Flavors explode in your mouth and nose, tender juicy meat, fresh spicy salsa; warm homemade tortilla chips… the flavors are abundant. Not only do you like the looks of your warm cheesy chicken burrito, grilled flounder or garlic bacon wrapped shrimp, but if you pause long enough to look up from your plate, hey wait …your view’s not so bad either.
Rocky Point has many fantastic eateries. Simple dishes, street food and international cuisine can be found in a variety of local restaurants, bistros and café’s. Not too many National chains exist in Rocky Point that you might recognize (Yes, we have a Burger King, and a Domino’s), but most importantly we have unique local eateries with impressive food and some with a spectacular view. Whether they are age old restaurants (old for Rocky Point) celebrating 25 years in business or new expat ventures trying to create a new scene in town, they all have their charm.
When most folks come into town for the first time, the first item on the list is usually some good food and a cold drink. So many of us rack our brain, thinking where can I take them for a bite with a view? Start the vacation off with a scenic view. Get a lay of the land.
Here is a short list of restaurants with a variety of menus and a view.
1. El Captain- the view earns 11 out of 10. Serving Lunch & Dinner. My suggestion: sit outside on their huge open air deck and order appetizers and margaritas at sunset. Your pictures will be amazing and for first timers, the view of the entire area will be awe inspiring. Good place to encounter traveling mariachi’s at dinner.
2. The Light House- next door to El Captain. So another 11 for this view. Some days you’ll discover live music in the lounge, and if you sit outside or at a table by the window you will capture the bird’s eye view of the city. At night the vista of twinkling lights remind you of how much Rocky Point is growing.(Directions: driving the road before you get into Old Port look up to your left and you can see both restaurants on top of the hill. Next to a big round water tower, El Captain and the Lighthouse can be accessed up the dirt road on your left)
3. Wrecked at the Reef outdoor patio – a favorite beach bar with hamburgers, shrimp quesadillas and wings, among other items. This is an ocean front cantina on Sandy Beach on the road towards Cholla Bay. Weekends will see live music and a fun nightlife, but the sunset view on the water is pretty special.
4. Xochitl’s Cholla Café – Sally Dalton’s café in Cholla Bay is worth a drive out to this charming little community. With an upstairs deck, you can enjoy wonderful food ranging from traditional Mexican fare, breakfast burritos, chiles rellenos, cheeseburgers, wood oven pizzas and salad lovers; this is your place for tasty crisp salads. The view of Cholla Bay is impressive coupled with a splattering of colors from the local houses, built into and on the cliffs. Reminds me a little of Santorini, Greece. Weekends are always open, weekday schedule varies.
5. Old Port restaurants on the water- there are many restaurants lining the newly updated streets of old port. Grab a rooftop seat or one that has covered decks overlooking the water. Seagulls and Pelicans might give you a show. For those who like to shop, leave your non-shopping partners at a table with a cold drink enjoying the view, while you step out the door and shop all the local wares. Fresh fish, delicious Mexican shrimp cocktails, tacos of your choice are abundant in every restaurant.
6. Playa Bonita- ocean front restaurant with a large outdoor deck. Famously “happy” happy hours have been witnessed by many on a beautiful day. Breakfast buffet on the weekends and lunch dinner served all week. Walk down and stick your toes in the water if you like. Located at the beginning of Sandy Beach.
7. Las Palomas pool bar and restaurant- Phase 1 and Phase 2 of this large golf resort condominium complex has two poolside beachside restaurants that are open to the public. Tell the guards at the gate you want to eat at the poolside restaurant. Sandwiches, tacos, nachos and burger type food. Great view of the ocean and those cooling off. Resort like atmosphere located on Sandy Beach.
8. Mare Blu (Mi Familia Mexican menu now available downstairs @ Mare Blu)- These two restaurants are directly on Sandy Beach one serving delicious Italian fare and the other serving traditional Mexican food. Convenient outside deck with ocean front dining. Open for dinner, next to Wrecked at the Reef.
9. Peñasco Del Sol Hotel restaurant- A few window seats and outside tables overlooking the pool area and ocean. Great view of Sandy Beach resorts lining the beach. Breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner menu.
10. Balboa’s- located by Balboa’s Marina. Diners here get a view of the two marinas’ and the boats. Boat lovers will enjoy having some traditional Mexican food, a cold cerveza and watching the birds.
Rocky Point has many superb, not to be missed restaurants without a view (that’s another article), but for those looking for both, try the short list above.
Oh yeah…one last and not to be forgotten eatery, is enjoying local takeout or a home cooked meal, in one of the hundreds of beautiful condos available for rent with a view. I can’t vouch for the service but relaxing, sitting on the balcony, taking it all in your own private sanctuary…Splendid!
Spanish word for beautiful view…Bonita vista!
Anita Kaltenbaugh is the Mexico travel examiner at examiner.com and author of the book “Travel Secrets- Insider guide to planning, affording and taking more vacations” available on Amazon.com, Kindle and Nook.