John McBride and his wife Max opened their flagship restaurant Max’s Café in 1998 then added the Sonoran Grille, Agave Grill and Bryan’s Sports Bar.
- How would you describe yourself in one sentence?
Optimistic, chatty out-going personality whose vision of happenings are brighter then actuality.
- When and how did you first discover Peñasco?
- What enticed you to locate here?
Within three months of that encounter, Max and I packed up and moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to Penasco joined by our sons Johnny 11 and Bryan 9 in the adventure to take advantage of reduced labor costs, proximity to the border and a safe environment for our family.
- What was your biggest challenge when adjusting to life here?
Lack of shopping, dirt roads and finding good workers.
- How do you fill your days?
Restaurants consume most of my time, but I take the time for an occasional lunch date with Max at an Old Port restaurant.
- Besides here, where do you think of as home?
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
- What do you miss about that home?
The weather and variety of entertainment opportunities.
- What here always brings a smile?
Full cash register at the end of the day or rescuing a tourist.
- If you were to leave, what would you miss most?
Son Bryan and his family and the interaction with customers.
- What one thing would you say to convince someone to relocate here?
Cheap housing in a beach community with a friendly population.