Alrighty you have decided to embrace the wonderful seaside culture of Puerto Peñasco Mexico and make Rocky Point your permanent home, vacation home getaway or even invest in this growing economy. You name it.

When it comes to buying or renting property in Mexico it all starts with getting your legal name on the right visa for your needs. Of particular note in this name game is consistency in the way you sign your name on all documents from immigration to banking.

There are many types of visas folk can apply for from student to scientist or even a special prominent person visa if you are someone famous. For the rest of us mere mortals and beach bums we’ll be looking at temporary and permanent resident visas or “FMM” cards.

If you wish to live in Mexico for more than 6 months but no longer than 4 years to “test the waters” as it were, then the Temporary Resident Visa may be for you. Ready to jump in with both feet and call Mexico home? The Permanent Resident Visa is your best ticket.

One key criteria that the Mexican authorities require for the issuance of a Temporary or Permanent Resident Visa is that the applicant proves that they have ‘sufficient funds to sustain themselves while in Mexico, and/or a proven steady income. This is where it may get a little more confusing. Although the Consulate website shows one lower minimum amount of income, it has been the experience of many that the average income for a Permanent Residency should be $2,500 USD per month or $1,500 pension per month for Temporary Residency.

If you are the Do-It-Yourself kind of person these two links should get you started.

Types of visas and requirements –

Visa application –

For folks like myself coming in from Arizona, here are the steps and stops I had to make on the road to making Mexico my home.

The Consulate General of Mexico. I processed mine in Phoenix AZ at the Consulate office on 320 E McDowell Rd

Bring with you…


Bank Statements and/or other proof of income or eligibility

Valid U.S. Passport Book (not the Passport Card!)

2 Passport Photos

$36 USD (cash… exact change)

You will walk out with a new Mexican Residency Card pasted into your passport. Take that to…

Next step; heading through Lukeville, just after crossing into the Mexican side of the border, I had to stop at the Immigration Office INM just to the right of the check point to get the entry stamp and start the 30 day clock to finish the documentation.

I opened a local bank account at Banorte over on Blvd Fremont

Stopped at a local photography store to get new identification photos sized specifically for my residency card

Then it was back to the INM office in Rocky Point located in Plaza Fremont across from Banorte, to complete the paperwork.

14 days later I stopped back at the same INM office and “TA -DA”… I am sporting my own new fashionable FMM “green card.”

Not being the “figure it out and hope for the best” kinda person when it comes to these kind of things, I sought out a local professional to help guide me through this process. Fees for these kind of services vary widely, depending on what you are trying to get done and who is helping you walk through the steps. My guy for this process is also my local CPA Guillermo Moreno located in the building just north of Burger King on Benito Juarez. If you want to “Get Going with Guillermo”, here is his contact info:


Blvd. Benito Juárez 133-C, Col. Centro, Puerto Peñasco, Son.

O. (638) 383-1062, C. (638) 105-3105, US (602) 814-0782

Now that you have your personal paperwork in hand it’s time to get out there and find your dream beach home or investment property!