There’s one thing, no one can deny about Puerto Peñasco: a sandy beach, surrounded by one of the most beautiful, blue, wet, soothing, magnificent, translucent waters of the Sea of Cortez. Strolling around Rocky Point, the color of the shimmering sea always catches my attention. I might be eating indoors at one of our fabulous venues, and wait there it is, out of the corner of my eye, a glimpse of the sea. The water, an ever changing color depending on the sun, time of day and my polarized glasses; whether they are on or off (I highly recommend on when staring at the sea). At any given moment it is like traveling through a kaleidoscope of emerald, turquoise, jade colors outlined by a deep blue shade. Driving in the car it beckons me from in between buildings and behind half-finished structures. Walking into one of the thousands of condo properties that nestle up against the shore line or in very close proximity, the view out the windows and sliding glass doors captures my eye, it never grows old. I walk in and the sea view stops me. The brilliant, eye-catching color seems to be everywhere.
Water is said to create energy, good energy and peace. The movement of water centers me and brings me to a relaxing situation and at the same time an exuberant state of joy. Joy is not a fleeting feeling but one that is developed over time. I have developed joy for the Sea of Cortez.
So yes, it’s summer time at the beach, time to wear less, stay cool and enjoy the outdoors. How do you do that? The best way, in my opinion…is to get in and get wet. It fact, it cools your body temperature down instantly and if you finish it off by entering air conditioning when you are still wet, you will even think it’s chilly.
Here are 10 great ways to chill out in the water in Puerto Peñasco.
1. Ok, try this: make a mark in the sand, take a stick draw a line, take a few steps back and then go… run into the beautiful Sea of Cortez as fast as you can… if you have a group of family or friends do it all at the same time, 1, 2, 3 dash into the sea…have someone take your picture…what will you discover? Pure freedom, a feeling of childlikeness and an exhilarating start to any day…I dare you to try it.
2. Buy a raft, a tube, a noodle (99 cents at the dollar store), a life jacket, really any floatable device will do and float around in the sea, if you have a waterproof music device or case put your headphones in, I recommend “That’s why God made Mexico” by Tim McGraw and float…Floating has been a freeing sensation since you were a kid. Just float around look up at the big blue sky, surrender, relax, meditate, anything to help clear the cobwebs out of your head.
3. Go banana boating…Get pulled around at fast speeds with some friends, family or strangers. A 15 minute ride will get your heart racing and cool you off. It’s a great way to look at the shoreline and get the wind blowing through your hair.
4. Jet skiing- Try it for an hour, a half hour or even a few hours…Rentals are in front of most resorts and the public beach. Ride across the waves, cruise up and down Sandy Beach, feel the wind at your face and the sea salt on your skin.
5. Azul at Bella Sirena-Yes this pool bar and restaurant are open to the public. It is the one resort that you do not have to be a guest to enjoy the food and the pool bar. Have a frozen drink with a pretty orange umbrella in it or an ice cold beer and enjoy the surroundings.
6. Rent a condo with a pool bar. Yes, except for Bella Sirena restaurant and pool bar AZUL, you have to be staying at the resort to use the other pool bars. However, there are many options here to rent a condo for a weekend with a pool bar: Las Palomas, Sonoran Sky, Sonoran Sea, Sonoran Sun, and the hotel Peñasco del Sol. All have pool beach bars where you can sit in the water, and enjoy a cool beverage or snacks at an actual bar in the H20.
7. Take a boat trip with Eco Fun Rentals and swim or snorkel with the sea lions. Just being on a boat is cooler than being on land and really a great experience. Jump into the water and snorkel or swim and you will certainly have a cool day on the water. Check out Eco Fun Rentals Facebook page for more information
8. Rent a hotel or condo with a swimming pool, almost every hotel and resort has one. Gather your beach towels, your cooler, your toys and then put on some good music, follow these instructions…get in the water, get out, get in, get out, you get the picture, just you and your friends or family enjoying a day at the pool.
9. Rent a kayak and kayak around Cholla Bay, a beautiful calm bay with plenty of opportunity to get wet and cool off. You can even push off by JJ’s Cantina, the boat launch or Tucson Beach. Paddle, float or just drift…the water will be surrounding you and your little watercraft, the closest one might get to sitting on the water.
10. Grab some beach chairs… walk to the edge of the water, sit down with your feet in the waves. Stay in this position as long as you want, then get up, jump in to get wet. Repeat as needed. This is a wonderful way to spend the day people watching, reading or just relaxing and it’s free, you just need a chair.
Whatever way you choose to beat the heat…use water, it will certainly cool you off and energize your spirit. Just get wet…In Rocky Point.
“Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.”
The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea.”
Anita Kaltenbaugh is the Mexico travel examiner at examiner.com and author of the book “Travel Secrets- Insider guide to planning, affording and taking more vacations” available on Kindle, NOOK and Amazon.com.