Happy New Year. Happy 2015.
We made it through another year. It’s 2015. I don’t know about you, but it’s hard for me to fathom in my mind that the millennium was 15 years ago. It seems like yesterday we were talking about Y2K and everything coming to the end, computers crashing, blackouts and the unknown of the new millennium. Even two years ago, 12.21.12 we were talking about the Mayan calendar and the end of the world. Well, we’re still here ready to start a brand-new year of 2015. Nothing has destroyed us yet.
So, with that said 2015 is going to be a glorious year. Here are eight secrets for a Happy New Year, try a few of these for a brighter future:
1. Keep it moving- Jump. Run. Walk. Dance. Swim. Just do something to keep it moving in a forward motion. With all these new fitness bands to count your steps, such as fit bit or polar loop, there are so many ways to trace how much you move in the day. A simple pedometer will work. While you’re in Rocky Point make a promise to walk the beach every morning. There’s nothing like starting your day out with a little sweat and beauty from the Sea of Cortez. You’ll be amazed at dolphins jumping in the sea, sand dollars surviving in the sand and children, dogs and people of all ages just enjoying the waves and the sun.
2. Get organized- whatever it is that you need organized for the coming year, just pick time and do it. Perhaps it’s cleaning out your inbox in your email and starting with new fresh folders. Perhaps it’s going through newspapers and junk mail that you been saving, shredding documents no longer needed, or reaching into your closet picking out 50 items to give away. A little organization will help you start the New Year off right.
3. Plan a trip- look at the calendar of the year ahead and pick out a date to go to the destination you always been wanting to go. Maybe it’s not financially the year for a big trip than pick a smaller destination that you want to visit. Travel does not have to break the bank. Pick it, plan it and it will happen.
4. Be kind- make a point to do something nice for someone every day. It can be a coworker, a family member, your spouse or even a stranger. Sometimes it’s as easy as giving someone a pat on the back or helping somebody carry something across the street or offering a ride. Make a conscious effort to be kind every day, and it will make you have a happier 2015.
5. Try something new- it’s a whole new year, and it’s up to you to make it different. If you do the same things, you’ve always done you will get the same results you’ve always had. Attempt to do something new. If you’re in Rocky Point, try something you’ve never experienced. Perhaps it’s going sailing, or flying in the ultralight or even fishing. If you’ve never kayaked, what’s stopping you? The point is to look around you, find something you have never done and try it this year.
6. Eat healthy-I know everybody writes down their New Year’s goal to lose X number of pounds, eat no carbs, no sugar but keep it simpler than that. Pick a day every week as your healthy day and for that one day make sure everything that goes in your mouth is healthy. If you like it, you might spread it out to more than one day.
7. Plan runaway weekends- Yes, you heard me. Look at your calendar and pick a weekend each month where you can run away to the beach. Rocky Point is such a great town to run away to. It’s inexpensive, and an easy drive from Phoenix or Tucson. If you live in Rocky Point, then pick a run-away weekend to somewhere else, maybe it’s the mountains or to visit a friend. If you pre-plan then at least you will know every month of 2015 you have your run-away weekend. A weekend just for you that you run away from it all to relax and rejuvenate.
8. Be thankful- the secret to happiness is being thankful for what you have; where you’re at in your life your health, your friends, your family. Be thankful.
“Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”
~ Oprah Winfrey