Whether you’re a son of a sailor, want to be a son of a sailor, or just love rum and cheeseburgers, Jimmy Buffett has touched all paradise lovers. October is a truly magical time to visit Puerto Peñasco, Mexico, and if you find yourself here, you’ll quickly understand why. This month is filled with exciting and fun events that you simply can’t afford to miss. Aside from the unbeatable weather, ideal water temperature, and stunning beach days, there are eight incredible events and experiences that should be at the top of your list.
But before I delve into the list, I have to mention a few things that have happened this summer that are close to many beach lovers’ hearts.
Whether you’re a son of a sailor, want to be a son of a sailor, or just love rum and cheeseburgers, Jimmy Buffett has touched all paradise lovers. As Toby Keith tweeted, “The pirate has passed.” Margaritaville, parrot heads, and Jimmy Buffett fans alike are mourning the loss of the man who brought us beaches, boats, and ballads. My memories of being on the water in Rocky Point would not be complete without the beach music of Jimmy Buffett.
Another great life that has touched countless humans and saved so many dogs on this earth is Barb Mumaugh of Barb’s Dog Rescue. Barb gave her life for the dog rescue that she created in Puerto Peñasco. She saved thousands of dogs and helped families adopt a new member of their household. You can honor Barb by adopting one, making a monetary donation, or bringing canned food to the shelter. And they are always looking for volunteers to help the dedicated staff take care of the dogs. Check out their article in this edition.
Two very special people are going to discover another everlasting beach full of dogs, music, and beautiful sunsets. This month in Rocky Point there are two events that honor both.
8 Events Not to Be Missed
1. Celebration of the Pirate – Jimmy Buffett Tribute – On October 6th, relish in the music of the Jimmy Buffett and Mark Mulligan at MARGARITA MERMAIDS. A special night with TWO shows (4 pm and 6:30 pm) to honor the late Jimmy Buffett! Come hear ALL your favorites, enjoy a great “cheeseburger in paradise” and margarita special, and dress tropical because the best-dressed wins a prize! Stop in or call for tickets.
2. Boat Regatta – And what good would beach music be without boats? October 6th also brings the Annual Piñata Regatta, now in its 38th year. Grab a beach towel, beach chair, and sit out on the sandy beach to watch the Hobie cats do their dance in the water. Nothing says a great fall beach day like watching the Hobie cats circle around the Sea of Cortez.
3. Banditos Beach BBQ Challenge – Have you gotten tickets for the Banditos BBQ Challenge on the 14th yet? Competitors include some of your favorite restaurants in Rocky Point, a few BBQ clubs from AZ, and a couple of amateurs. Cold drinks, tasty snacks, and great music await. Banditos has partnered with Educarte to help out the kids in Peñasco. Come hang out with live music by Roger Clyne, The Purple Onions, and Combo Delux. This event promises to be a true highlight. Indulge in delicious BBQ, soak up the lively atmosphere, and enjoy the best of Puerto Peñasco’s music scene.
4. Happy Birthday Manny – October 14th brings a beach celebration… celebrating 40 years of Manny’s Beach Club! Can anyone remember 40 years ago at Manny’s? Well, come join the celebration. Cornhole, live music, food, and drink specials all day long. (Manny’s will also be hosting a costume contest on October 28th)
5. October 14-15 – The Grand Desert Race – Watch out for the competitors in this ultra-trail competition that covers 250 kilometers in six stages through the diverse Sonoran Desert. Centuries ago, the Tohono O’odham tribe ran over 750 km from the Sea of Cortez to the Arizona desert, known as the Salt Walk, to bring fresh salt-covered fish to their families. This tradition inspired the Grand Desert Race.
6. October 21 – Celebration of Life of Barb’s Dog Rescue – Manny’s at 11 am. Special raffle prizes with all money going to Barbs’ Dog Rescue. Drink specials and food specials with portions going to Barb’s. Calling all dog lovers, this is your cause!
7. October 21 – Returning for another exciting season, the Mermaid Market is a must-visit. Starting on October 21st, head to the Shrimp Shrine Plaza and immerse yourself in a world of art, crafts, gifts, and local artisans. This market offers a unique opportunity to support local creators while indulging in delicious food and drinks. Make sure to mark your calendar for the following dates: October 21st, November 4th, November 18th, December 2nd, and December 16th. Don’t miss out on the 12th season of this vibrant arts and crafts market.
8. New Irish Pub – St. Nicks – Finally, we have an Irish-themed bar in Rocky Point. Microbrews and local beers on tap, and there is Guinness available. It’s a great place to watch a game or meet up with friends. Live music every weekend. Add it to your list to check out this month.
October is an incredible month to experience the best of Puerto Peñasco. From mouthwatering barbecues and live music to the vibrant Mermaid’s Market, there is something for everyone. So, pack your bags, get ready to enjoy the glorious weather, and join in on the festivities – Puerto Peñasco is waiting for you.
“If there is a heaven for me, I’m sure there is a beach attached” – Jimmy Buffett.